Week Thirty-Three
Sunday, July 13, 2003 through Saturday, July 19, 2003
(Click here to go to Father's thoughts)
Weight:      11 pounds 6 ounces
Oxygen:     1/8 of a liter per minute
Feedings:  Bottle feeding 20 calorie formula
Length:     23.5 inches
Not much happened this last week.  Bailey is still on an 1/8th of a liter per minute.  She gained two ounces but didn't grow any.  She is still drinking 20 calorie formula but while attending the follow-up clinic at the hospital the neonatologist said that we needed to put Bailey back on 22 calorie formula.  Bailey is only in the in the 5th percentile for weight for a four month old (her adjusted age).  We will continue to finish the supply of 20 calorie formula that we have and go back to the much more expensive 22 calorie (that Costco doesn't carry) formula sometime next week.
Bailey attended the follow-up clinic on Friday.  The follow-up clinic is held every month at the hospital.  Bailey is expected to attend at least one clinic every 6 months for the first two years of her life.  After that she is expected to attend once a year for as long as we want her to.  Everyone at the clinic gave her A+ marks on her tests.  She is really doing well.  She will go back in September to get her eyes checked at another follow-up clinic.
While at the clinic Bailey had her first major blowout all over Stacey's lap.  I was not able to attend the clinic because I was at work, but Stacey told me that she was holding Bailey on her lap when she went #2.  Then she went again.  Stacey said it didn't feel like much so she decided she would wait until Bailey was all done before she changed her diaper.  A few minutes later Bailey went a third time blowing out the sides of her diaper and filling Stacey's lap and covering her arms and hands.  If it wasn't for some help from Bailey's occupational therapist (who ran to get some paper towels) Stacey would have been in a world of hurt.  I thought it was quite funny.  I only wish I could have been there to take pictures.
After the clinic Stacey took Bailey up to the NICU to see some old friends.  Bailey was a total ham and had everyone cracking up.  Stacey told me that she was playfully yelling and as soon as someone would look at her and laugh she would do it again even louder.
Below are some pictures that we took during the week of Bailey and us.  She is doing so well.  The only concern we have right now is with her congestion.  I'm worried that she is getting sicker (or that she will get sick) if it doesn't go away soon.
Week Thirty-Four
Sunday, July 20, 2003 through Saturday, July 26, 2003
Weight:      11 pounds 6 ounces
Oxygen:     1/16 of a liter per minute
Feedings:  Bottle feeding 22 calorie formula
Length:     23.5 inches
Bailey's congestion got worse over the weekend.  On Sunday, my heart sank as I was holding Bailey.  I could feel that the congestion had gotten down into Bailey's lungs.  I felt like I needed to have someone in the NICU come by and suction her lungs out.  On Monday, her lungs didn't improve any so Stacey made a doctors appointment for Tuesday morning.  At the doctor's appointment Bailey's doctor told Stacey that Bailey had a slight cold and that the congestion hadn't made it's way down into her lungs.  I was quite relieved to hear the news.
On Sunday, I finally got my payback for thinking it was funny that Bailey pooped on her mom last week.  While Stacey was at a neighbor's apartment, I was playing with Bailey on my lap on the couch when I felt something wet in my lap.  Let's just say I had to change my clothes.  I also stuck Bailey in the kitchen sink for a quick bath after using about 7 baby wipes to do an initial clean up.
Stacey took Bailey to a play group on Monday that is run by Bailey's occupational therapist.  Bailey had a really good time and loved to look at all the other babies.  She tried to talk to them the same way that she yells at herself in the mirror.  Bailey liked all the games that they played.  The games were all geared towards helping the premature babies interact with their surroundings without getting over stimulated.  For example, one of the games that they played was to stick each of the babies' bare feet in a bowl of bird seed.  Most babies cried.  Bailey thought it was funny. 
On Wednesday, Bailey's nurse came by the house.  Bailey didn't grow any this week or gain any weight.  However, her oxygen saturation was in the high 90's so we were able to bring her back down to 1/16th of a liter per minute.  This was really good news.
The first two pictures below are of Bailey's cute little face.  The third picture is an example of how Bailey is starting to get stronger and how she is becoming slightly mobile.  She squirmed so much one night that she got herself completely free of her blanket that we always wrap her in at night (like a burrito), kicked off one of her socks in the process, and wiggled her head up into the stuffed animals in her crib.  The fourth and fifth pictures are proof of the size of Bailey's blow outs.  This one didn't have any casualties other than the cloth diaper she is lying on in the pictures.  The last picture is of Bailey's wide eyes.  One of the games we like to play with Bailey is to take her into the bathroom and shut off all the lights.  Because the lights are out, Bailey's eyes grow wide to take in more light.  Then we turn the lights on and for a split second you can see her wide eyes.  It makes her mother and me laugh.  We actually caught her eyes in the 'wide' state in the picture shown here.
Week Thirty-Five
Sunday, July 27, 2003 through Thursday, July 31, 2003
Weight:      11 pounds 9.5 ounces
Oxygen:     1/32 of a liter per minute
Feedings:  22 cal formula and solids
Length:     23.75 inches
This week's publication is a little early and next week's will be a little late.  We will be on vacation next week and I won't be able to publish on Sunday like I usually do.
Bailey is back down to 1/32 of a liter.  The nurse came by on Wednesday and Bailey's saturation was in the high 90's again.  Perhaps she will be ready for another saturation study when we get back from vacation.  Bailey also gained 3.5 ounces this last week and grew 1/4 of an inch.
Bailey had her first solid food this week.  We were eating dinner and noticed that she was really interested in what we were eating.  We thought about it for a minute and then decided to see if she would eat some stage 1 baby applesauce.  She loved it.  Click here (3.5 MB) to see a short video of it.  Also, see the third picture below.
On Tuesday, Stacey and Bailey paid a visit to Stacey's sister in Salt Lake.  They took the opportunity to do a little sun bathing.  Bailey tried out her new sunglasses that her mom bought her for our vacation to Lake Shasta next week.  Her eyes are very sensitive to the light and we don't want her to spend a week having to keep her eyes closed at the lake because the sun is so bright.  Although I was skeptical that she wouldn't wear sunglasses, we bought some anyway.  She didn't mind them at all.  See the first two pictures below. 
Bailey made her first trip to the eye doctor on Tuesday. During this visit the doctor told us that Bailey's eyes are sensitive to the light not because of her surgery, but because she has light hair and blue eyes.  The doctor also said that her vision is great and that he won't need to see her for another year.  Because they had to dilate her eyes, she wore her sunglasses the entire day - even into Costco.  The doctor said  that there is still a possibility that she will need glasses in the future but as of right now, he said her eyes look great.
The last three pictures are of me tailoring Bailey's life jacket so that we could feel good about taking her to the lake.  The smallest that life jackets comes are infant less than 30lbs.  When your baby only weighs 11.5 pounds even those life jackets don't fit (see picture 4 below).  I took the jacket apart (picture 5) and put it back together, with the addition of a head float, and now it fits just right (picture 6).  The arm holes are a little small making it a tight fit, but I don't have time to fix them before we leave.  They will have to wait until we get back.
Week Thirty-Six
Friday, August 1, 2003 through Sunday, August 9, 2003
I can't fill out any of the normal statistics this week because Bailey did not receive a visit from her nurse.  We were on much needed vacation and weren't in Utah for the weekly visit.
Friday night I was laying on the couch at my parent's house in California dreading the thought of attending my 10 year high school reunion alone just about to drift off to sleep at about 10:00 PM when my wife and Bailey walked in and yelled SURPRISE!  Stacey had bought plane tickets and flown down to surprise me without me knowing.  It was a great surprise because I had no idea they were coming and I was very happy to see both of them.  The short of it is, Bailey took her first ride in an airplane.  Stacey said that she was absolutely perfect for the flight (even though it was delayed 2 hours) and that she was the hit of the trip.  Everyone sitting near her on the airplane just loved her and thought she was the cutest baby ever.  The next morning Bailey and my dad spent some time together playing in the front yard.
Stacey and I had a great time at my high school reunion and my parents watched Bailey. They were even successful at getting her to fall asleep (unlike the last time they watched her).  On Sunday morning, Bailey got to meet her Great Grams Crane.  My middle name (Bailey) is Great Grams' maiden name.  So, Bailey is not only named after me, but after my Grandmother Crane.  My Great-Granddaddy Bailey had no boys to pass on his family name.  I'm sure he is smiling somewhere because of Bailey's name.  Because of the name, Bailey's visit with her Great Grams was special (first picture below).  After her visit with Great Grams I took her over to see my life long friend and his wife and mom (second picture below).  I wish I had had more time to spend with everyone, but I had to leave with Stacey and Bailey to catch two separate planes.  I was flying to Oregon and Stacey and Bailey were flying back to Utah.  Although Stacey had bought tickets to California there was no way for them to fly to Oregon because no airline serviced oxygen in or out of Medford.  I wished they were coming with me, but they were headed back to Utah to get in a car with Stacey's sister and her 17 month old to drive to Oregon.  I didn't envy Stacey for doing that trip in a car with two babies but I was glad that she was willing to make the trip.
I met Stacey and Bailey at Lake Shasta in Northern California on Monday night.  I drove straight there from the Medford airport Sunday night when Stacey and her sister and the two babies stayed the night in Winnemucca, NV (almost half way between UT and OR).  They drove the rest of the way to the lake on Monday morning.  Bailey was an instant hit with her cousin Anna (4 yrs) who became Bailey's little helper.
Although I didn't take the next two pictures until the sixth (and therefore they are out of order) I think they most appropriately go next.  The first picture is of Bailey's cute swim suit and no lifejacket.  The second picture is of Bailey with her custom lifejacket made by me.  How many babies have custom lifejackets sewn by their fathers?
While on the houseboat, Bailey took baths in the sink.
Bailey had a really good time at the lake as did both of her parents.  Bailey really likes the water although she doesn't like it to be cold.  Lucky for us Shasta Lake is not cold this time of year.  Putting Bailey in the water usually consisted of a quick dip so that she would get wet and then cool off slightly in the air.  Then we would put her back in the water that felt much warmer on her skin.  She loved her life jacket and could float in it just like it was a raft.  Below is a collection of pictures from the lake with Bailey in the water.  The second picture is my favorite picture taken during our trip.
While we were on the houseboat, the only way to get Bailey to take a nap was to nap with her.  Below is  a collection of pictures of Bailey napping on the houseboat.
The next picture is of Bailey with her cousins Anna and Bradly.  The second picture below is of Bailey with her first hairdo.  I called it her pixy-tail because it wasn't big enough to call a ponytail.  This is almost my most favorite picture from the trip.
This last picture is of Bailey's 17 month old cousin Jocelyn putting Bailey's binky back in her mouth when it fell out.
Bailey was a really good baby the whole trip.  Stacey even said that she was an angel in the car (most of the time).  However, she did say there was a two hour stint where the babies took turns crying in the car on the way to Winnemucca from Utah.
Bailey has gotten really good at passing things back and forth in her hands.  She likes to pull her binky out of her mouth, play with it from hand to hand, and then try and put it back in her mouth.  It always gets back in her mouth but has yet to point the right direction.  However, she is aware that she is doing it wrong and continues to try to do it right each time.
When Bailey is sitting up on our laps she loves to grab her foot and put her toes in her mouth.  She isn't strong enough to pull them to her mouth when she is lying on her back, but likes the foot-popsicle when she is propped up.  In this position she can use gravity to help her get her foot to her mouth.