Week Two
I apologize in advance that this week does not contain many personal experiences.  I will never forget the events of November 30, 2002 and the week that followed, but the second week is a little hazy.  Stacey came home from the hospital on the 8th and we still had family in town staying at our house.  I was still very worried about Bailey, but I don't remember many specifics.  I was too busy trying to help my wife do everything, visit the hospital, and help with our guests (even though they were a big help I still felt the need to entertain them) to remember much of this week.
Having said this, I do want to say that all the worries from the week before were still alive in our minds and made it hard to sleep at night.  We still worried that Bailey would have to go to Primary Children's Hospital if her PDA returned.  We still worried about her weight, bowel movements, feedings, cranial bleeds, etc.  As you read through the following day-by-day information keep those worries in mind and put yourself in our shoes.  This should help you feel some of the personal experiences that we had, but that I don't remember clearly enough to write about.
Sunday, December 8, 2002
Weight:     1 lbs. 6.75 oz. (645 grams)
Ab. Girth: 19 cm
Stacey went home today.  It was nice to be home in our own condo.  It will be really good to sleep in our own bed.
We spent a lot of time at the hospital today.  It was nice to see Bailey and her mom interact on a more personal level.  They really seam to have bonded now.  Now that Stacey isn't so heavily medicated (like she was during week one) she has had more of a chance to bond with her daughter.
This was Bailey's last day under the phototherapy lights.  Her jaundice is now gone.  As such, there will be no more pictures with bright lighting (like the one above).  Also, she will not have to wear the eye cover as much as she used to.
Monday, December 9, 2002
Weight:     1 lbs. 4.5 oz. (580 grams)
BM Morn: 1 small Meconium
BM Eve:  2 Meconium with Suppository
Today was Baileys first bowel movement in a while.  She hasn't had any trouble urinating, but this is the first time she has had a BM for about a week.  The nurses have been giving her suppositories for the past few days (some of which she promptly shoots right back out), so it was good to see that her intestinal track is working.
Tuesday, December 10, 2002
(Click here to go to Father's thoughts)
Weight:     1 lbs. 7.5 oz. (666 grams)
Today we gave Bailey a cotton ball bath.  She gets a bath every other day.  We took advantage of this naked moment to get our first naked baby pictures.  Look at her cute little bum in the second picture.
Wednesday, December 11, 2002
Weight:     1 lbs. 8 oz. (677 grams)
Bailey's umbilical lines came out today so now we can actually see her tummy.  The nurses said her cord should fall out next week some time.  This is a picture of her line free belly.
This morning they gave Bailey another follow-up echocardiogram and again found no PDA.  This was, of course, great news.  Bailey was also given another echoencephalography to check for more cranial bleeding.  They still found no bleeds.  This was also great news!
Because we had a "good news" day, and because only one hand and no feet had lines in them, we decided to make molds of one of Bailey's hands, and both of her feet.  The finished product will be cherished always, but as you can tell from Bailey's mouth in this picture, she didn't enjoy the experience.  The casting material was cold and she didn't like it.
Thursday, December 12, 2002
Weight:     1 lbs. 9 oz. (705 grams)
Today they gave Bailey's abdomen an ultrasound.  Her right kidney looked normal, but her left kidney was diagnosed with mild hydronephrosis.  Hydronephrosis is a "stretching" or dilation of the inside or collecting part of the kidney. More information on this condition can be found by clicking here.  Her mom had kidney problems as a child too.  Between Stacey and I, Bailey is destined to spend a life with kidney surgeries and braces on her teeth.
I also got to help weigh Bailey tonight.  In order to weigh Bailey they must first lift her off the bed (as you can see me doing in the first picture below), zero the scale that is built into the bed, and then place Bailey back on the bed.  This is easier said than done because she is connected to so many wires and tubes none of which can rest on the bed during weighing.  It takes three people to weigh her.
While we were moving Bailey, I got a chance to take a picture of Bailey's ID sticker.  She is too small for a normal hospital wrist band, so she will wear a sticker on her back until she leaves the hospital.  Her wrist band will remain taped to the side of her bed and they will be given to use when Bailey is discharged from the hospital.
Friday, December 13, 2002
Weight:     1 lbs. 10 oz. (755 grams)
Ab Girth:  20.5 cm
BM Morn: 1 small Meconium  
Today we were shown how to interact more with Bailey.  As you can see in the first two pictures, we have learned how to safely put our hand under Bailey's head.  I took advantage of the opportunity as a "kissing" moment.
Saturday, December 14, 2002
Weight:     1 lbs. 10.25 oz.(744 grams)
Ab. Girth: 19 cm
We spent a lot of time with Bailey today.  I also had to do some Christmas shopping.  As a result, mom visited with Bailey more than I did today.  She had a good day and was very calm.  This is good because it helps her body save calories for use in the development of her organs.
In addition, the air inside Bailey's tent is no longer humidified.  We ere told that this only needs to be done for the first two weeks of her life to help with her skin development and overall comfort.